Ectopic pancreatic islets in Splenic hilum and peripancreatic fat
© Gupta and Vasishta; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2008
Received: 11 January 2008
Accepted: 29 January 2008
Published: 29 January 2008
The presence of pancreatic islets alone in the peripancreatic region and splenic hilum is an uncommon occurrence. Herein, we describe their presence in this rare location.
Rare case reports of pancreatitis occurring in the ectopic pancreatic tissue in the mesentry of the small intestine of a child have been described in the literature . Ectopic islets sometimes may be symptomatic on account of production and secretion of insulin. Asymptomatic occurrence of islets is also common, however presence of islets alone without the accompanying ductal system in splenic hilum has not been previously described to the best of our knowledge. The pathologists must be aware of this rare site for correct interpretation and diagnosis.
- Cruickshank AH, Benbow EW: Pathology of the pancreas. 1995, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Seifert G: Congenital anamolies. Pancreatic pathology. Edited by: Klòppel G, Heitz PU. 1984, Edinburgh: Churchill-Livingstone, 22-6. 1Google Scholar
- Oertel JE, Oertel YC, Heffess CS: Pancreas. Diagnostic Surgical Pathology. Edited by: Sternberg SS. 1999, Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 1470-Google Scholar
- Al Salam S, Al Ashari M: Ectopic pancreatic tissue in the anterior mediastinum. Virchows Archiv. 2006, 448: 661-3. 10.1007/s00428-006-0159-8.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fam S, Briain DS, Borger JA: Ectopic pancreas with acute inflammation. J Pediatr Surg. 1982, 17: 86-7. 10.1016/S0022-3468(82)80338-2.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.